Saturday 14 January 2012

U.&.I. - Part I

“Come on! Again? Don’t you have anything to do? Don’t you have a career?”

“Come one! Didn’t you know I’m making see you my career?”

Always and ever cheerful. Never seemed bothered or busy. Didn’t he work for Ernest & Young? Didn’t know they have so much free time.

“I see you almost every day!”, she said while picking up the stack of files from her messy desk, then walked towards the conference room. He greeted her colleagues as they moved along the corridor.

“For God’s sake! You live just two blocks away and you carpool with me!” Pushing the door open with her left shoulder, she let herself and him into the room.

“If you don’t mind…”

He took half of the stack from her arms, then began to lay the files before each seat. As diligent as she always is, she laid the files and arranged them neatly on the table, before turning to the computer checking that everything is in order.

“I take from your silence that we’ll be heading out to Vester’s? I know they serve real good….”

“You should take from my silence that I’m occupied and busy!” She threw him an angry look.

Always so smooth sailing in life, graduated top in class from an Ivy college in accountings, getting numerous job offers without effort, then got accepted straight into the prestigious E&Y’s Financial department. Wondered how such a laid-back, lazy, slouch-like guy could be so blessed. Won’t surprise her if he come clean one day admitting that he has a guardian fairy.

As for her, she had to work her socks off every single day at the local university just to pay off her tuition fees. Now, she’s just a small timer designer trying to make an impression to her team leader.

“Come on! Just this once? Please?”

“Huh…I can’t. I’ve got presentation this after lunch. That’s why I’m doing all this.”

Now sulking and looking disappointed, he said, “Huh…Alright, I know, guess I won’t get my long awaited lunch…”,

“Just go.”

“…probably should just grab a quick sandwich down at the cafe.”

Ignoring him she continued to work, now arranging her presentation notes.

“Oh great, now the infamous silence treatment.”

Still ignoring him, she booted her laptop and started typing.

“I guess I should go now.”

*Silence*Fingers typing*Silence*Fingers typing*

*Door creaking* *Door closes*

No comments :